Unbound (All Good Things #1) Available on Amazon/Smashwords/Unknown (All Good Things #2) coming soon.

Tuesday 22 April 2014

99 Word Biographies

Thanks to Sarah Brentyn for giving me the heads up about the 99 word biographies prompt last week at Carrot Ranch Communications. I've been playing around with flash fiction for the last couple of months and having a blast. But this week's challenge was tough. Maybe it's because I already know my characters from Unbound so well that I find it hard to narrow it down to 99 words. Or maybe it's because I was daunted by the many amazing entries for this prompt submitted by other writers. Either way, here are my entries. 

*******
Mara was born in squalor. Traded for 50 bucks and a case of whiskey, she spent her childhood being used in ways best forgotten. A girl of shadows and whispers, no one knew of the strange things that happened on nights with a full moon. Rescued and recovered, Mara holds hope and fear with the same disdain. She loves fiercely, is loyal to a fault, and when no one is looking, smiles at babies and sunsets. She is wise woman, crone, rebel, romantic. She can flay with a look and strike like serpent. She will not suffer fools gladly.


*******
Stuart is all elbows and knees. Equal parts rogue and romantic, he has a way of making people comfortable with his discomfort. His laugh is hard to resist and it’s easy to forget the sadness he’s seen. Few knew of the men who died in his arms as he’d tried to carry them from the battlefield. Fewer still knew that he’d signed up for the war as penance for living a life that would never end. He loves beer and a good joke and in the end, wants nothing more than to be a decent man, worthy of love.





6 comments:

  1. These are awesome! Perfect bios of both characters. I keep going back and forth about which one I like better but they are so different. I was leaning toward Mara's but, no, Stuart's is so...Stuart. This was a tough challenge and you wrote both so well. LOVE these character bios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah. You're fast becoming my cheerleader. Look out or I might put you on retainer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do these characters meet? Because I want them to meet! I need to get your book because I love your depth of writing and taking on my favorite types of characters--unlikely heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Charli. They do indeed meet, although they are just friends. I'd happily send you a copy of Unbound. I'm always happy to have more readers (said every author ever).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Georgia. You have painted vivid images of these two characters who have suffered, but at the same time you provide hope for their salvation. An interesting contrast.

    ReplyDelete