Unbound (All Good Things #1) Available on Amazon/Smashwords/Unknown (All Good Things #2) coming soon.

Thursday 16 October 2014

Expectations


Here is my latest entry in the Carrot Ranch Communications flash fiction challenge. It's been awhile since I joined in the fun and I'm glad I found some time today to play with my 99 words. Thanks to Sarah Brentyn for her gentle encouragement to keep writing and to Charli Mills for hosting this great weekly series. Check out more entries from other awesome writers over at the ranch. 

****

She waited. She was always waiting for him in some way. Her fingers trailed through the puddle of spilled coffee. She tried not to look at the door as she shuffled through his words in her mind, words that she repeated back to herself, sometimes for reassurance, sometimes as penance. Pushing her phone away she focused on the street, not wanting to watch the minutes pass, or to acknowledge what became clearer each day. Her father had been right about that. Sometimes the only thing you got to walk away with was your disappointment and sometimes, that was lucky.

9 comments:

  1. Okay. I just realized I lost a week here. O_o I was waiting for the "yellow boat"... Wow. Anyway, love the flash. Is this part of something larger? It's fantastic. Must go read your "Why I Write" post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the Yellow Boat - was too late to enter but so enjoyed all the other entries. I think this may be something larger? A short story that's been brewing. But who knows? Thanks for your comments, Sarah and truly, for reminding me that I so love to flash.

      Delete
    2. Hee. And who doesn't love to flash? :-) Please let me know if you turn this into a short story. Must read...

      Delete
  2. Lovely, Georgia, beautifully written. How much we invest in deluding ourselves that our expectations of WILL be fulfilled, despite the evidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! That's exactly what I was aiming for. Sometimes we keep investing even when we know there's nothing to be gained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful piece of writing, Georgia! There's such an interesting play of time in this scene as if the moments tick by slowly, yet the years flash by. You've caught that essence of not want to acknowledge what painfully obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charli! And thank you so much for retweeting my link for #Mondayblogs.

      Delete
  5. wow! i loved your piece of writing, Georgia. You did it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruchira! It's such a great feeling to know that others can connect to something in this short piece.

      Delete